As with any recipe on this website, I highly recommend starting completely from scratch for ultimate satisfaction. That means growing your own produce, too. However, don’t feel daunted if you want to make your own summer berry punch but haven’t grown your own berries – that’s why I’ve written this at the end of winter, so that you can grow your own in time for those balmy summer days in the garden!
The ultimate summer berry plant pack
You’re already putting in the hard work to grow your own summer fruit – so don’t spend ages shopping around for plants when you can receive everything in one comprehensive package from QVC! The Fruits of the Forest Plant and Bare Root Collection comprises 15 plants that bear an array of berries, including delicious strawberries, blackberries, blueberries and loganberries.
This pack makes growing fruits for your summer berry punch super easy-peasy – plus, the plants will attract a host of pollinators to your garden, helping your other plants to thrive too! Simply plant out upon receipt and water well until established, then deadhead to encourage repeat flowering. With this pack, you’ll receive:
· 10 x Strawberry Elsanta (bare Root) – fruiting in June and July, heavy crops of strawberry fruits with delicious flavour
· 1 x Raspberry Glen Ample (cane) – fruiting in June to July, large crops of sweet, large berries
· 1 x Raspberry Bliss (cane) – fruiting in August to October, high yields of tasty fruits which are great for freezing
· 1 x Blueberry Duke (9cm pot) – producing delicious blueberries from June to July
· 1 x Blackberry Triple Crown (bare root) – a thornless blackberry for harvesting August to September
· 1 x Loganberry Thornless (9cm pot) – a cross between a raspberry and a blackberry bearing fruits longer than a raspberry and with a sharper flavour in August and September
Get the Fruits of the Forest Plant and Bare Root Collection here from QVC.
· Flowering period: June – October
· Plant position: full sun, partial shade
· Soil type: moist, well drained
· Mature height: plants vary
Non-alcoholic summer berry punch recipe (makes 3 litres)
This summer berry punch recipe is non-alcoholic so that everyone can enjoy it – however, feel free to add alcohol if you so desire (and always drink responsibly).
- 250g Strawberries
- 250g Raspberries
- 100g Loganberries
- 100g Blueberries
- 100g Blackberries
- 1.25 litre lemonade
- 1.25 litre cranberry juice
- The juice of two limes
- Throw a handful of the strawberries, raspberries and loganberries into a blender with 500ml of water. Blend until smooth, then pour into ice cube trays and leave overnight.
- Place the rest of the fruit into a punchbowl, then pour in the lemonade and cranberry juice. Cover the bowl and leave in the fridge overnight for the flavours to infuse.
- When you’re ready to serve, add the ice cubes to the punch. Pour in the juice from the limes, then mix gently.
- Serve with a ladel and chilled mason jars so that you can experience the coolness of this beautiful summer punch for as long as possible!
Michael has been involved with gardening and plants since he was just five years old. He is a self-professed Plant Geek, and was listed in the Sunday Times top 20 most influential people in the gardening world, thanks to his plant hunter role at Thompson & Morgan.
Michael was responsible for new plant introductions such as the Egg and Chips plant and the FuchsiaBerry and keeps busy travelling the world in search of new plants as well as lecturing worldwide, including stints in Japan. He is very active on social media – so why not give him a follow at @mr_plantgeek or Facebook. You can also listen to The Plant Based Podcast with Michael and co-host Ellen-Mary on iTunes, Spotify and Google.